7/28/08

Benja Thai & Sushi

I had a roommate, Madoka from Japan, that couldn't pronounce my name. (It's pronounced sue-see). So, I told her it was just like Sushi, but without the 'h.' Let's just say, she never got it...:)

My post comes several days after our excursion to Benja's. Sorry Karyn.

Definitely the best sushi in St. George. I had had one of those days where I needed the dessert first. Remember my philosophy? I went for the mango rice. It is definitely the creamiest, delightful dessert that includes mango, rice, and coconut milk. What's not to like? Whenever I go to Benja's, I always get the same thing: sweet and sour chicken. I love it. It's comfort. However, much to my dismay, our darling server Alex (whom I really do like), brought me this cashew chicken dish with rice. It was sooo not what I wanted. It had cashews (duh), mushrooms, green peppers, onions, and carrots that were stir-fried together with chicken. It wasn't bad; just not what I was in the mood for.

I give the food a 7; only because I got what I didn't order. I understand that Alex was trying to broaden my horizon and give me an adventure--I just didn't want my server to take creative license in changing my order. The tempura roll I ordered was fantastic! A definite 10! Just the right amount of spiciness...I give a 6 to dining atmosphere. We were seated next to a window and we weren't the only guests. There was a pesky little fly that wouldn't leave. Also, can't Benja's take their music off repeat? It sounds like an Asian Enya.

Until next time!



Benja Thai and Sushi. I feel like someone knew that I was coming to St. George, so they set up a restaurant with all of my favorite types of food crammed into one place. If you are an oriental food lover, as I am, Benja’s is the restaurant for you.

Let me begin with the atmosphere… as soon as you walk in, it is clear that it is an oriental restaurant. The pictures of Thailand, decorative wall hangings and water feature all add to the pleasant and ‘Zen-like’ feel.
The servers are always very pleasant and helpful. The seating is cozy and comfy…

There are a lot of things I like about Benja’s… They have a VERY extensive sushi menu… I think I’ve tried all of the rolls they have to offer… I like to think of myself as somewhat of a sushi connoisseur… and Benja’s is the best St. George has to offer. I do have favorite 'rolls' here. Try the Bangkok Roll or the Geisha Roll. They are DELICIOUS!!! Or, if you aren’t into ‘spicy’ sushi, (The Geisha Roll isn’t that spicy, I promise!!!) try the Spider Roll, or the Philly Roll. For the full menu, visit their website at www.benjathai.com OR you can download the pdf by going to: benjathai.com/benjasushi.pdf. Trust me; you can’t go wrong with the sushi at Benja’s. They also offer new rolls every week or so, so go check it out.

If Sushi isn’t your ‘bag’, the regular menu features an array of Thai food that is to die for. Here is the actual menu: benjathai.com/dinner.pdf. You WON’T be disappointed by any of the regular menu items. My ‘usual’ (yes, I DO have a usual here) is the Pad Thai.

There are 3 things I like about Benja’s food that I have to tell you.

First, the food is consistently good. You won’t catch them ‘on bad day.’ They simply don’t have them. The food is ALWAYS good.

Secondly, you can order any of the items on the regular menu with whatever meat you prefer. I lean towards chicken, but they also offer beef, pork, and crispy or soft tofu. Their crispy tofu is delightful, and the pork is also wonderful. Like I said… they’re always good… :)

Lastly they offer a ‘hotness’ level for all of their dishes. You like it mild, they make it mild. If you would prefer it to burn your face off, they do that too. (It won’t LITERALLY burn your face off… you know what I mean…) I like this feature of the ordering process, because I LOVE that burning sensation of a spicy Pad Thai. As I always say… ‘It hurts so good!!!’ lol… ;)

All in all, I highly recommend Benja Thai Sushi. The food gets a 10; service a solid 8.5, prices a 6… (They are a little pricy) and atmosphere is a 9. :) For good Sushi and Thai food, Benja’s is the clear choice!

2 comments:

Sara Ann said...

Yum! I like this place too:)

Debi in Dixie said...

My daughters (ages 21 and 25) LOVE Benja's! Tonight we had Sushi - Geisha, Vegas, Eel, and California - S/S Chicken, Miso Soup, and MY FAV - Yellow Curry (mild) with chicken! YUM! They usually have the mango rice dessert, but we were too full!

Benja also owns Samurai 21 across from the Zion Outlet Mall.

I love that Benja comes out personally and asks how things are. Do you know she also teaches Yoga at Dixie State College and sells awesome yoga music cd's in the restaurant?

6 THUMBS way up! Benja's is a 10... (I didn't even mind the wait tonight in a very, very packed restaurant!)