2/9/09

The Cracker Barrel

Where else can you go for the best pancakes in the world? Sure, there’s your standard Denny’s, Village Inn, and IHOP. But do any of those places give you your own little bottle of syrup? I say. Nay, nay.

Karyn and I are going
out of the norm on this critique and doing a breakfast, not dinner or lunch. Although, if you’d like breakfast for lunch or dinner, I’m sure Cracker Barrel can accommodate. :) I was first introduced to Cracker Barrel by my dear friend Travis—who had a hankering for some grits and biscuits and gravy. And seeing as Cracker Barrel was a Southern restaurant, we patronized it. My fondness for this restaurant has not waned.

I always get pancakes. I love them!
It’s such a great food that can be eaten at any time of the day! Ask Karyn. I’d prefer pancakes over a steak! But like I mentioned, this time I actually ate pancakes for breakfast! The pancakes at Cracker Barrel are what some of the old-timers (aka our grandparents) may call griddle cakes or hot cakes. They have this awesome griddle taste, cooked to a slow perfection that has just a bit of crispiness on the outside. And when it comes with its own bottle of syrup, what more could you ask for? And the portions are huge! The breakfast meal that I usually get comes with three delicious pancakes, eggs, sausage and bacon. If that’s not home cookin’, I don’t know what is!

Before you first enter the Cracker Barrel, you’re welcomed with a bunch of rocking chairs. What says comfort more than rocking chairs? The inside I could describe as nothing more than rustic charm. With old-fashioned farm tools, posters, advertisements, and memorabilia, it speaks of the South. And in t
he little souvenir shop, there’s everything from Paula Dean dishes, to John Deere tractor toys, to old-fashioned sodas and candies. It’s the perfect blast from the past! And don’t forget that each dining table is equipped with that little peg game. You know the one…it’s triangle shaped and has about 15 pegs. You’re supposed to take a peg and hop over the next one. The object is to only have one left. Yeah…can’t do it. Karyn had beginner’s luck and was a freakin’ genius! Plus, if you’re feeling kind of dumb like I do when I play that game, there’s always a gigantic sized game of checkers to be played at a designated table.

All around I give Cracker Barrel a 9! Good food, good service, great atmosphere. Just make sure you’re in the mood for some southern style cooking!


Cracker Barrel. What can I say about the CB??? If you're in to the 'old reliable' way of making food, CB is the place to go for Good Country Cookin'!!!

I have to admit to all of you that I am NOT a breakfast person. I could never get the hang of it. Am I supposed to eat a big breakfast? Is breakfast REALLY the most important meal of the day? What's with pancakes? (They don't taste like cake to me!) These questions and more beg an answer I cannot give.

However, planning an event with people who love breakfast will always result in what is called the 'breakfast meeting' which is how we found ourselves at the Cracker Barrel.

Rustic and quaint, the Cracker Barrel welcomes patrons with a warm hug of old time candy and drinks, old fashioned games, and seasonal decor ranging from cookware to clothing. You can find things at Cracker Barrel that were previously though to be lost in time, like maple candy from Vermont and Necco! :) However, beyond the land of reminiscence, is taste bud heaven.

Like I said before, I don't really like breakfast. But, I will totally eat breakfast at the Cracker barrel. My mom raised me on rice and eggs. It wasn't until I moved to the mainland that I was introduced to grits. I LOVE GRITS!!! Sweet or savory, grits are truly the chameleon of the breakfast world. Another champion of the Cracker Barrel Breakfast is the BACON. None of your namby pamby microwaved bacon here. Thick luscious slabs of bacon, cured and smoked to perfection... I'm drooling just thinking about it. :) Oh, and did I forget to mention biscuits and gravy??? I really don't like country gravy, but the country gravy at Cracker Barrel is different... Lighter, tastier... Maybe I just haven't had a GOOD country gravy, but I LOVE CB's. :)

My favorite part of our visit was the "jump all but one" peg game. I got it down to one peg my first time, and have gotten it probably 4 times since then. I even bought one for my desk that I play with when I have a hard time getting the juices flowing... :)

Overall, I rate the Cracker Barrel a 9. Great service... great food, and a great place to eat!!! :)

No comments: