2/20/09

Scaldoni’s

I have mixed feelings about Scaldoni’s. The food is good; the portions are small. The service was okay—a little slow. It was a good thing we weren’t in a rush. Karyn and I had gift cards to go to Scaldoni’s and we gratefully took advantage to eat at one of St. George’s fine dining establishments. Our server Dave was super nice—recommending all the right dishes, saying all the right things, very accommodating. The atmosphere is one of quiet elegance: dimmed lighting, linen napkins, soft music. The menu is catered to a Mediterranean feel, with Greek and Italian dishes in abundance. I ordered a small dinner salad and the seafood pasta. The salad was amazing! Very fresh greens, great mix, great color. It came with a light vinaigrette. The main dish…this pasta was the lightest pasta I’ve ever tasted! It was a creamy white, not Alfredo. It was a hefty portion, and I took most of it home. The best part of the evening is when the busboys came along to clear your plates and also scraped the crumbs off the table with a little scraper. I know; it’s the little things. The atmosphere was what I would call a quiet elegance. The music understated. The food good—not outstanding, just good. I think Scaldoni’s is a little overpriced, and may be just a tad overrated. I give it a 7.


Scaldoni’s. I too have mixed feelings about our trip to the ‘fanciest place to eat in St. George.’ We’ve eaten there twice, and both experiences were… interesting. I have a confession. I have not had a lot of experience with gourmet restaurants. I’m more of a let’s eat at that random hole in the wall place… but I think if I had the money and means to eat at another gourmet restaurant, I would. The only reason we ended up going to Scaldoni's is because we were given 2 $50 gift certificates to go. Sadly, after the first time we used one and a half of them, and the rest of it for half of our bill the second time. I guess it was worth it... Let me tell you about the first experience. When we first came in, we were greeted by the hostess, and seated promptly. We did have to make a reservation beforehand, but it wasn’t much of a hassle. I was impressed by the quality of service. I could tell that all of the servers had a lot of experience, and I’m always happy when my server has experience in the waiting trade. :) The waiter took our order, and I decided on the surf and turf. It was pretty good. Chilean sea bass with filet mignon. I was surprised that it wasn’t hot when I got it. I like my food to be served NOT COLD… but it was alright. The service was superb, and they had little scraper things to clean our table off. Another plus was that they almost expected you to stay after the meal and chat, which we did. :) My second experience wasn't any better than the first. We were invited to their 'Special Open House Tasting' because they moved locations. I hate to insuniate pre-meditated calumny... However, I'm not afraid to say that I believed the meal for this 'Special Open House Tasting' was going to be free. I wasn't the only one either. Everyone that showed up thought that it was a free meal. It didn't help that they didn't print any prices on the 'Special Tasting Menu" they supplied us with. ANYWAYS, the food was alright, not really memorable... as evidence of me not being able to recall what I ate that night. AND I was more than a little miffed that we had to pay for it. Good thing I brought my wallet, or we would have been SOL. :S Anyway, putting that aside, overall, I would rate Scaldoni’s a 6. The food was good... a solid 8 in my book, and the service was a 10, but it was SUPER over priced (in my opinion) and my food was cold. I also was really surprised they charged everyone at that tasting. Scaldoni's... good, but I will probably never eat there again.

2 comments:

Jack Glen said...

The latest easy way to save your money by free Murfreesboro local printable coupons including Restaurants Coupon and many more at www.clickmycoupon.com
and get huge discount Restaurants and Dining.

Shannon said...

I don't know who you ladies are, but seriously, can we be friends? I mean, I don't think there is anyone in this world that loves food as much as I do - my husband calls it a sickness and says I need a cure. I would love to do what you guys do. Is this your real job, or something you just do for fun on the side? I just spent the last hour of my life reading your posts and I loved them all. I just moved to St. George 6 months ago and lemme tell ya, St. George is the WORST place for restaurants ever! Everything is a chain...from the early 90's. It's like a small town that never really evolved with the rest of the world. But there are some really great hole-in-the wall places that I've found and love. Like Ah-sya (a little vietnamese place behind texas roadhouse) and wing stop (best wings EVER by stadium 10 - get the lemon pepper wings. you won't be sorry. Oh, and their fries). Anyway, I want to come eat with you guys and rate all the restaurants in St. George.lol. It sounds like so much fun. Maybe I'll make my own blog (not to compete with yours). Anyway, thanks for raising awareness to the more obscure St. George dining locations. There are a few I haven't tried that you've convinced me to go to. And for real, try those two out and tell me what you think. Wow. This was really long. Sorry. I just really love food and food lovers! Thanks for letting me peek in on your delicious world!